- real leaves for a model
- maple or other leaf shape from thick, white paper or construction paper
- craft stick
- Autumn color paints, red, yellow, orange, and green
- After a nature walk or favorite autumn book, look at some real leaves and talk about the colors.
- Pass out the leaf shapes and put different color paints on the tables in shallow dishes.
- Have the kids take turns dipping their fingers in paints and color the leaf. Many autumn leaves still have green and green is good for contrast. Allow to dry.
- After drying, tape a craft stick to the back to make a handle. Don't forget to put students names on their craft.