This is a simple summer activity you can do at home or with a class. For older kids, it helps them understand that water has different phases or forms. For younger kids, it's just cool summer fun.
- small beads or toys
- a freezer
- Drop a few colorful beads(beach animal shaped ones are good) or small toys into a balloon.
- Fill the balloon with water and put in the freezer overnight. (You could also used colored water)
- Cut the balloon and take out the ice ball. The students can see something inside.
- Let them play with it on a tray or put in the wadding pool.
- As the the ice melts, the beads come out.
- You could give them as party favors and let kids take home the toys inside.