This idea cam from my daughter's first grade elementary school textbook in Japan. All Japanese students make these.
- hard rough surface
- sharp tool like to punch holes in leather
- modeling clay
- Holding the acorn tightly, scrape the top against a hard rough surface like concrete or pavement. File off the top layer of the acorn to reveal the nut.
- Stick the acorn into a hick, hard piece of clay for a base.
- Using a very sharp tool for making holes, make a small hole into the top of the acorn WARNING: This is a very dangerous tool! You may have only the teacher do this step.
- Break a toothpick in half and insert it into the top of the acorn to make the top handle.
- Spin your acorn top.