This recycled plastic drink bottle pinwheel craft idea comes from a Japanese website. Recycle your trash into a cute pinwheel. Farmers in Japan make these all the time and put them in their fields. They're not only decorative and fun, but help scare away the birds. The website has a full picture step by step tutorial.
- 500 ml(about 17 oz.) plastic drink bottle with cap. You need a straight kind with flattened side panels.
- wire coat hanger or other bendable wire
- black electrical tape
- exacto knife
- small drill or soldering gun to make a hole.
- Drill or burn a small hole exactly in the center of the cap and the bottom of the bottle.
- Cut the bottom part of the plastic bottle off as shown in the picture and set aside.
- Cut apart and bend down the side panels. There should be 8. These will be the blades of the pinwheel.
- Bend each blade slightly to make them curved.
- Insert the bottom part of the bottle on the pinwheel. Tape in place if necessary.
- Put black tape on the ends of the blades for decoration and added weight. Decorate your pinwheel as you like.
- Insert the wire through the cape and through the bottom and bend a loop to secure.
- Bend the long end of the wire and attach to a pole or stick.