This is a fun and easy craft to do after a trip to the beach.
- 1 small plastic drink bottle with cap (PET bottle)
- small shells or beads
- blue paint or food coloring (optional)
- Use a funnel to put some sand in the bottom of a cleaned out plastic bottle.
- Fill the the bottle with water.
- Drop in a few small shells or beads.
- Put in a few drops of blue food coloring to look like the ocean. (optional)
- Twist the cap on tightly.
- Shake and watch the sand settle to the bottom.
Prep and Maintenance
If you use real beach sand instead of craft sand, you should wash the sand first. There are two ways:
1. Wash all the and beforehand in a big bucket.-hard
2. Put some sand in the bottle. Fill with water about halfway. Secure lid and shake vigorously. Unscrew lid and pour out water. repeat 3 or 4 times.-easy
Don't put too much sand, just enough to cover the bottom. If you put too much, you won't be able to see the shells when they settle, they'll sink. The beads are a little lighter. I had beach theme beads that looked great.
One version of this craft called for hot-gluing the cap. I don't recommend that. First, it's not necessary. A tight twist of the cap is enough. Second, I noticed after a few weeks, the water started to get mucky. No problem. Take off the cap and pour out the water. Refill and replace cap and shake vigorously. Repeat a few times. It all depends how long you plan on keeping it. If you change the water from time to time, it should keep indefinitely. Have fun.