This 4th of July patriotic flag mobile craft is a great way to show your spirit. The original version of this craft pictured here was made from soup can lids and wire, but you can easily adapt this idea to a easier and safer paper craft.
- soup can
- card stock
- red and blue markers
- white out or white paint pen
- dowel rods
- red and blue beads
- hole punch
- super glue
- Use a soup can to trace 9 circles onto white card stock and cut out.
- Color the top left quarter of the circle blue. Add red stripes. The first stripe on a flag is red. Add white dots to the blue field for stars with a paint pen or white out. Repeat for all circles.
- Punch a hole in the top of each flag circle.
- Cut 2 dowel rods about a foot long and tie together in a cross shape.
- Add a blue or red bead to the ends with super glue.
- Cut 4 pieces of string the same length. Cut 4 more strings longer than the first group. Finally cut 1 string the longest.
- Tie all the strings to the flag circles.
- Tie the other ends to the dowel cross. Tie the 4 shortest ones on the ends of the dowels, the longer 4 inside those, and the longest one in the middle.
- Tie a string o top of the flag mobile and hang up.
- Adjust the strings on the dowel to get a good balance.
Actually, since we're using paper, the flags don't need to be circles. You could make rectangles.
You could paste both sides o the card stock with 4th of July wrapping paper and cut out the shapes from that.
Source: Crafts for all Seasons